Monday, June 18, 2012

008. KAEL

Today I wanna write about Kael Seely.  This handsome kid is my nephew and he lives in beautiful Fort MacLeod.  For those of you who have no idea where that is, it's in Canada.  I had an experience with him last week that prompts me to write about him.

In reality I've only had 4 visits with him.  He was born in Canada and we rarely see their family.  He's my sister, Rachel's son.  My first meeting with him was when he was a baby.  Rachel and Tim came down so everyone could meet him.  There have been three other times, the most recent being a couple months ago.

My impression of Kael...  He's energetic, good-natured and mischievous.  There's so many qualities that typify a normal boy and he's got all of them.  He's got a twinkle in his eye that says, "watch out, I'm secretly up to no good".  More than anything I love his ready smile.  He's quick to laugh and always flashes you a sparkling smile.

My lack of contact with them means I don't have as many opportunities to develop my relationships with the Seeley family members.  It doesn't stop me from wanting Kael to think of me as an adult who loves him; a person he can depend on; someone he could turn to if he had a problem.

So Rachel calls me and mentions a story about Kael.  He was watching a DVD I'd sent for his birthday with his cousins and he told them I sent it to him because I love him.

To me, this little anecdote sends me into orbit.  This is exactly what I want him to feel.  Loved!  And the fact he knows it makes me feel like millions of dollars.  I know he's young and he'll change as he grows.  At some point, I'll have to update this entry.  For now, I'll close by commenting on what a remarkable kid he is.  His parents should be commended and they should also be proud.

UPDATE: So I found a nickname for Kael.  It all relates to a story dad told me about Kael.  It happened while he was visiting the Seely's in Canada.  Kael put on his suit for church and his dad had to search him at the door.  He had something like 17 cars tucked in pockets and hidden all over his body.  He was ready for church!  Lol. I know it's not an accurate use of the term, but I've decided to call him "Shakedown".  I always get a mental image of some dude being patted down when I hear that word and now it makes me think of Kael's Sunday car search before church.

Kael is a reason for being.

2 comments:

  1. This is so amazing! My son, Kael Seeley, is also a reason for being! Crazy we have the same names!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a coincidence! The world continues to get smaller and smaller. I love how people can find ways to connect. Maybe these boys will grow up and be good friends one day!

      Delete