Wednesday, May 14, 2014

015. MOM

This is my mom...  Right in the middle of telling me not to take a picture of her.  Hehehe.

Yesterday was her birthday and she was bombarded with attention and people singing to her.  She's seriously one of the most wonderful people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

So mom has had a challenging life.  And I won't go into her history, (I'm not even sure I know all of it), but what I do know makes me admire her greatly.  She's survived a lot of crap and she's lived a life full of people judging her.  She doesn't deserve that and one of the things I'm most impressed with is the fact she's come out the other end and she's not taking it anymore.

Women can be strong in many ways.  They can be assertive, aggressive and domineering.  These are the strong women we often see in television and movies.  But my mom is a woman whose strength lay in those quiet moments when she'd talk to you and make you feel like you were the most important person on the planet.  Even with competition from my siblings for attention, she could always make you think you were secretly, her favorite kid.  Whatever pain or trouble you were going through, she could make it seem easy to overcome.

She's a fun loving person and her grandkids are the object of her affection.  She loves being with them and making them feel special.  I know each one of them believes they are the greatest kid in the world because grandma loves them.

She's someone I feel collaborative with.  I feel like I can do things with her and enjoy the experience.  I also love one quality she possesses I think is truly rare.  When she receives a gift, she receives it with her whole heart and soul.  She is moved by kindness and responds to good qualities in others.

I respect her opinions and I seek after her thoughts on many subjects.  Especially trivial things.

She someone I never seem to get enough time with.

For those of you keeping score, I call her "El Madero".

Ultimately, the greatest compliment I can pay her is this...  She's my friend.  Not just my mom.  And I love that closeness.  Happy Birthday, my wonderful mom!  

Mom is a reason for being!

No comments:

Post a Comment